Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Day 16 of 25 Days of Thanks

Good books have been my friends for a very long time. I remember browsing in our church library when I wasn't even old enough to check out a book alone. I remember our small public library in Lithonia, GA, where you could go for reading circle time in the summer. My first trip to Barnes and Noble....heavenly!

I remember my first boxed set of books....Little House on the Prairie. Then came Anne of Green Gables and Nancy Drew. As I grew older Janette Oke and Gilbert Morris books lined my small bookcase. Missionary biographies and historical fiction fascinated me and I grew to love the characters...fictional and real in each book.

As I have grown older, so has my taste in books. In fact, on New Years Day for the last 10 years or so I have spent my morning in the bookstore, gathering and browsing through books that peak my interest. It's a springboard to reaching my New Year's Goals....thus the large library of cookbooks, decorating books, non-profit texts, current religious topics and child rearing/family issues.

I'm thankful people that are smarter and more studied than I am take the time to jot down their thoughts, stories and dreams. It's reassuring to hear someone has already been there...done that. It's motivating to hear exciting stories of someone who is spending their life doing something adventurous or eternal. Escaping to dangerous mission fields or back to the colonial period allows my mind to wonder about what it would be like to be there in the present.

So whether curled up on a cold December day, waiting in the car, taking a long road trip or soothing my soul....books have a way of sneaking into most everyday of my life. I'm thankful for the knowledge, the entertainment, the adventure and the ideas.

No comments: