Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 10 of 25 Days of Thanks

I know in the scheme of things one job is not more important than the next if you are doing what God wants you to do, but, I have a certain fondness and admiration for missionaries to foreign fields. They risk it all...sacrifice comforts, pleasures, English speaking television, personal preferences and abandon it all to go wherever God leads them to tell others about Jesus. It sounds reckless, adventurous and brave. Would I be willing? Would I leave all this behind to go to the other side of the world to tell others about Christ? Would I be willing to let go of all the preferences I have about toilet paper, radio stations and home decor to live in a land where a thatched roof was a luxury and a static AM radio station is all I have. I hope so!

I realize some of our missionaries lead somewhat Americanized lives on foreign soil these days. For those who may live in a large city where modern conveniences abound, I still think about the sacrifice of raising a family half way around the world- away from their own families-  and admire their dedication to the call God has placed on their lives.

They are true heroes in my book. I pray that I would serve with such reckless abandonment here in my own mission field.

Thanks missionaries!

No comments: