Happy New Year!
I love the turn of one month to the next and even more so, one year to the next. There's just something about that clean slate feeling. God even knew how much we would relish do-overs...He tells us His mercies are NEW every MORNING. Thank you Lord!
I'm giving this year to the Lord in a way I haven't before. I really do want each day to amount to something good....but in the quietness of this particular moment, I know that in order for that to happen I have to throw out some old habits and even "good" things and set my eyes on eternity, Jesus and the things that are valued in HIS eyes.
So here are a few things I am hoping to throw out this year:
1. Negative self-talk - you know....the kind that talks back at you in the mirror or when you think about a bad experience...yes, that one. I am going to embrace the scriptures and God's thoughts about me.
2. Busyness - I'm not promoting laziness - I am promoting a lifestyle of doing things that will matter down the road....like being more intentional with my kids, writing more, being more hospitable, encouraging more. But I'm throwing off wasting time and the life sucking activities that are the culprits for stress and fatigue.
3. Disorganization- I'd like to become that super clean freakishly crazy obsessive cleaning machine...but it's not gonna happen. It's not me. What I would like to throw out is all the "stuff" that is making my life way more cluttered than I like. I do this every year and would really like to stay organized for more than 2 weeks this year! Let the kitchen cabinet cleaning begin!
4. Lazy parenting- now I will talk about laziness. I am throwing it out....Bruce and I told the kids (maybe warned is a better word) today at the family table that there were going to be some changes coming beginning Monday. They include a detailed chore chart, menu planning, financial planning and more. I know that some of those things might not scream PARENTING, but, I think if we can be more diligent about teaching our kids how to work hard, live healthy, manage their money then we will have done a good job in raising responsible adults. Spiritually we will be spending a great deal of time focusing on Kindness and Obedience with Tucker (and ...if you've hung with Tucker recently then you probably know why these are our primary focuses). For Savannah we are hoping to help her overcome her fear of bad weather by recognizing God is in control of all our days....what an accomplishment if we can help her learn this lesson this early in her life!
5. Self-abuse- Now before you dial 911, let me assure you that I am not doing anything drastic to myself. BUT.....I am throwing out NOT TAKING CARE OF MYSELF. First, I want to take better care of myself spiritually. Reading and memorizing God's Word, reading books that will assist me in my walk and journaling more about the work God is doing. Physically, I have never taken care of myself. I rarely go to the doctor, it's been at least 4 years since I got new glasses, I buy cheap shampoo, rarely use lotion (is this becoming TMI?) and will skip breakfast or eat something totally gross and unhealthy if I need to. I don't get regular hair cuts, I forget to moisturize, I don't get pedicures unless my mom is in town, I will suffer when I don't need to....and this is all STUPID and very UNWISE!....and doesn't earn me any points in the MOMgame. This physical body isn't going to last forever and even though cheap shampoo isn't going to kill me...taking better care of myself is definitely something God is CONVICTING me that I need to do. So eating better foods, taking better care of myself and setting a better example are things I am going to work hard at in 2011. Hopefully by doing a few things for myself I will be better equipped to serve others.
So....there you have it. The old stuff. The garbage. The gunk that's gettin' thrown away. Goodbye old....hello new year. What are you going to work on in 2011?