Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cravings...

I've been making some changes in the way I eat this week....and boy has it been hard. Here's a sampling of what I've eaten...the good, the bad and the ugly...

Granola
Bananas
Popcorn
Coffee with Fat Free Creamer (can you say NEVER AGAIN???)
1 Diet Coke
1 Diet DP
Sobe Water
Water
Unsweet Tea
Jambalaya
Green Beans
Corn
Salad
Turkey Sandwich- mustard, pickles
Pretzels
Cottage Cheese and Pineapple
3 Chocolate covered cherries...(yes, I know, this wasn't suppose to be on the list)

As you can see, I've eaten plenty. But it's all the food that I haven't eaten that is screaming at me....EAT ME! EAT ME! I'm craving things like potato chips, dips, peanut butter balls and the list could go on and on.

The thing is, I know these cravings for food will change to something else..candy bars, ice cream, doritos....they can never be satisfied. One week it will be something salty, the next sugary, chocolately or spicy. You get it...there will always be something!

They represent the cravings I have for other things in my life that are bad for me...self gratification, praise, being right, being heard (and many more). You see, these aren't appropriate for the Christian life. They don't belong there....but just like the physical cravings a dieter feels, they must be managed. They have to be told "NO", "Go AWAY!", and "STAY AWAY!". Thankfully God's Word is available to grab onto like a lifesaving blow up tube. His Word rebukes the enemy, smashes the cravings and fills me with things that satisfy. Only Jesus. None but Jesus. He can satisfy my soul.

No comments: