Wednesday, November 4, 2009

26 Days of Thanks

Day 4


Today I am thankful for all of the wonderful people who have mentored me over the years.

The definition of a mentor is:
–noun
1. a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.

2. an influential senior sponsor or supporter.

so, I'd have to say that my parents were the first mentors I ever had. Not only did they do the regular parental responsibilities (love, feed, clothe, place to live) but they also took 5 years out of their lives to homeschool me. From 8-12 grade (in the 80's), they spent a great deal of time teaching me math, science, English and history. But do you know what I remember most...my dad's verse by verse dissection of the book of Proverbs. I will never forget it.

Another great mentor I had was Mrs. Nell Cook. Seems she was my Sunday School teacher forever. I think from the 3-6th grade she taught me each Sunday. I remember this charm course she went through with us girls. I laugh now at some of the things we learned, but chances are, some of what I know about being a lady, dressing and manners came from that course.

Coach Dewey Estes was also a valuable mentor in my life. Talk about a motivator. When I was awkward and in the 7th grade, Coach took 6 junior high girls and ran us up and down the court in what he hoped resembled a  basketball team. Unfortunately, our skinny arms and legs (oh, those were the days!)  and adolescent misfit coordination did little to help him out. After 5 years of playing basketball together, shooting millions of practice free throws and running more laps than should be legal...we were intimidating other teams on the court. What I learned from him....practice hard, sweat alot and you can do just about anything.

In college Mrs. Mary Herman was like a second mother to me. I remember her being so kind and understanding when my dad passed away. I also remember a year later when my grades were suffering she tenderly and firmly helped me understand that I needed to refocus and get moving in the right direction. I will always love her for that. Now, as she travels all across the world, teaching other to teach in their churches, she's still busy motivating people to give of their best to the Savior.

I've learned so much from so many....and God's still teaching me..and providing others to teach me too. I am so thankful for those precious lives that have impacted mine in such a big way. Thanks Mom, Dad, Ms. Nell, Coach Estes and Ms. Herman for the life lessons you were willing to share with me. I am better for knowing you.

Is there someone who has mentored you along the way? What did they do, Who are they?....Share here!

No comments: