Sunday, November 22, 2009

22 of 26 Days of Thanks

Day 22:

Today I am extremely thankful for my friends (for those who know me...you know I've been cautious with this word the past few years...but I think I can finally use it again!). In God's Word it says so much about the benefits of friendship. After a very painful end to a friendship a few years ago, I swore off friendships, their benefits and anything else positive that might be associated with them. Guess what that got me? A pretty lonely existence, a life hidden behind shallow and surface relationships and a lot of anger. Over the last six months I've done some soul searching, a self examination that revealed some ugly stuff and I've learned a few things through God's Word about myself and the few solid relationships that I have in my life. I'm understanding friendship a little better and I am not only learning how to be a better friend, but also how to let people be friends with me.

I'm thankful for a few good friends who have stuck with me through the years. I treasure these relationships  and now, through facebook, I have the blessing of renewed friendships from childhood. I am also thankful for the blessing of new friendships with those at my new church. I am looking forward to seeing what God does there. I am thankful too, for you faithful bloggy friends who return here day after day to read the crazy rantings of the Journaling Gina. I wish I knew who you all were (you could help me by clicking "follow" in the column to your right...hint, hint)!

Most of all I am thankful for the friend who sticks closer than any other. He has all the attributes that I would aspire to have as a friend.....Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.

No comments: