Monday, October 7, 2013

Day #7 Beautiful Seasons


We just happen to be in my favorite season of all...Autumn. I'm thankful Texas is experiencing temps in the 80's right now and for us...that is the equivalent of a cold front--- and that at least justifies long sleeves and boots. I know we must look ridiculous to the rest of America.

Soon enough the 80's will slip down to the 70's and nighttime temps will drop into the 40's. Then after the last leaf has dropped off the tree..wintertime will settle in. And just when we think we can't take another day of cold weather...spring buds will appear on the trees and if we're lucky, summer break will start sooner rather than later. Seems we're never quite satisfied with the season we're in for very long.

It's true in my own life...I remember being single and wondering if I'd EVER get married. Then I wondered if I would EVER be able to have kids....and after 10 years of waiting...I wondered if my firstborn would EVER leave the NICU. Next I wondered if she would EVER talk...walk...feed herself.  A few years later I wondered if we'd EVER finish remodeling our farmhouse....then I wondered if we'd EVER have another baby. When we did...I wondered if we'd EVER move. Then I thought we'd never EVER sell our farmhouse. When we moved I doubted we would EVER make new friends...and when we did, I wondered if we would stay there forEVER. When we didn't, I thought we would nEVER be in ministry again...but God had other plans and now I'm thankful that His was are always higher and better than I could EVER imagine. I look back and can be thankful for EVERy journey and the time and the seasons of life He's brought us through. But it doesn't mean it's been easy.

He's been faithful. When I haven't been, when I've doubted, when I've lost hope, when I've been discontent, when I've wondered. He's been faithful. That's the most important lesson I've learned in 20 years of married life, mom life and ministry life. He's faithful in every season.

In the dry times of summer when the heat and pressure of life is too much. When I feel tired from the burdens and the hardships...He's faithful.

In the cool temps of autumn, when beauty and bounty surround me and I feel and see His presence in creation as leaves turn and thanks are given...He's faithful.

When the harsh winds of winter stir up feelings of resentment and bitterness and hurt and my limbs have nothing to give except a dried up effort ...He's faithful.

And in the spring...when hope is at its best. When new life surrounds me and the promises of a brighter day are before me...He's faithful.

In every season... He's right there. He's known the struggles I would face and the joys I'd experience. Nothing is a surprise to Him. He's orchestrated these events. His faithful steady hand is just as good in the bad times as the good and He's still every reason that we have to live and breathe and sing and worship.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 says: He has made everything beautiful in its time. So when you're doubting Him and wondering what He's doing during a certain season of your life...remind yourself, that in His time...at just the right moment this will be a beautiful season. In life and in death, in joy and in sorrow, in good times and bad, He takes those seasons of winter and creates beautiful springtime flowers and trees in shades of colors we can barely describe. It may not be what we thought, or anticipated or imagined...no...it might just be better.







No comments: