Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day #10 Beautiful Antiques


My home is full of hand-me-down furniture. As I look around the house, memories of sweet loved ones are associated with just about every piece of antique furniture I possess. I have a library table that my father-in-law picked up off the side of the road when he and my mother in law were newly married. I have Bruce's grandparents small china hutch. I have a pie safe that my mom haggled to get at Georgia flea market when I was a kid and a blue hunt board that my dad made from scratch...and many more. In fact I have more stories than I do store bought furniture.

Each piece has some wear and tear on it. The stain may be faded, a handle might be loose, it might be a little rickety but each piece is functional. It plays a part in the function of our home. In fact, without these pieces my home would be less appealing...almost boring. There would be no stories, no memories of days gone by, no comparison of age or marks.

The Bible says in Psalm 71:17-18, 

Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.  Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.


As I was thinking about my church and the plethora of ages that make up the body of Christ, I'm reminded that the elderly...the seniors...the old and gray...have a responsibility to the younger generation...to pass down the marvelous deeds of the Lord to the next generation. And as I start plucking my own gray hairs, I realize that there is no better time than now to start talking to the younger generation about how good God has been.

There is a trust in an older generation...you've been there, done that and although the younger generation may not do things just like we did them 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago, they still need to hear about what God did in our lives. And even if you don't think they want to hear it...they do! I personally love hearing stories about God's provision, protection and amazing grace  from years gone by!

Psalm 92:14a says:

They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green

The older generation still has a reason to share their story...to bear fruit. Fresh and green vegetation is healthy and life giving. It hasn't rotted off the vine or branch...it's lush and flavor-full and beautiful. It's sweet to the taste buds. The same should be these stories of faith and freedom in Christ. Words of sweetness about a relationship with a Savior, His love, His forgiveness. There's no room to let the enemy in to steal the show. At a time in life that complaining about aches and pains and social security or the lack thereof, may be tempting...the Godly gray and old...talk about the goodness of God. The godly old and gray know who has written their story and they're stickin' to it! 

Old things (antiques) have a function and place in the home...and in the body of Christ. I'm thankful for the beautiful older people who have told me the stories of Jesus through the years...Mrs. Olgesby, Ms. Bell, Mr. Young, Mr. Stewart, my grandmother. These shared their words about Jesus with me and passed on a legacy of the goodness of the Lord. I may not have even known it at the time, but they were preserving their God story in me.

And now...at 41...while I pluck and cover gray hairs every six weeks...it's my turn. And if you're doing the same thing...it's your turn too. We must share God's story...the world is speaking loudly about it's story...and it's a pack of lies. Christians should be shouting from the mountaintops so that this generation hears and knows and has the opportunity to accept the goodness of the Lord. 

I'm committed...Are you?



No comments: