Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day #2 Beautiful Mistakes

The most beautiful melodies started out by someone playing and humming notes until the progression of musical phrases sounded perfectly perfect to the composer's ear. I'm curious to know how many beautiful mistakes Chris Tomlin or Matt Redman or Kari Jobe have made before getting their songs on the radio. I like to imagine, that like me, they've made their share of beautiful mistakes.

Beautiful mistakes are the ones we make when we are in the throws of really trying...trying to write a new song, learn a new sport, parent a two year old. These are the ones that challenge us to persevere..to keep trying....to stay the course. These mistakes are beautiful. They reflect the human spirit. The go-getter-done attitude. It's in the student and parent and author and athlete. And sometimes...it's in me.

You see, I don't really like messing up but one thing I know now is that it's worth working through the mistakes, the disappointments and the goof-ups. It's worth it to try hard and to persevere. In fact, it's completely Biblical. We're told to keep on keepin' on, in James 1:2-4 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

God's job is to worry about the end result...ours is to be faithful to the task that He's called us to. And if along the way, things get a little crazy and we hit some wrong notes or a foul ball or yell at the kids a time or two, just get back to the business you're called to do. We're not trying to earn anything by our trying...in fact our mistakes prove...we can't earn anything. Because it's in these mistakes that we find we need God the most..without Him we can do nothing. When we struggle and put forth our best effort God is watching. He sees our feeble attempts as we try to raise kids and work jobs and serve in church and coach soccer. Better than that, He sees our hearts. He sees our motives and He sees our beautiful mistakes. Each and every one. And He loves us enough to want to make us beautiful in HIS time

Our imperfections only show us how badly we need Him. As I sit here and type I look at the band aid that is covering an imperfection on my arm. Today I sat in the dermatologist office while the Dr. numbed my arm, removed a small growth off my arm, and gave me three stitches to patch my skin back together. Now I wait for a pathology report...which I trust will be fine. But this imperfection, this blemish, this mistake (according to the world) has drawn me closer to Jesus. Closer to trusting Him, closer to believing Him, closer to wanting His will. That's what makes it beautiful. It's what He's doing in you that makes your mistakes..your blemishes...your melody line... less disastrous. It's grace. 


I think of all the crafting that's done with repurposed furniture and supplies...even sweaters are unraveled and resold as yarn (I know this is true...I saw it on etsy). I think God is in the business of taking the scraps of our lives and making something incredibly beautiful from the brokenness. 

So, don't give up! Because persevering makes your messes beautiful. God's right there beside you putting the finishing touches on something better than you can imagine. He's drawing you closer to Himself. Don't resist. He wants to make your mistakes beautiful too. 

Think about what He did for:

Rahab....prostitute turned female line to Jesus Christ
Moses...stutterer turned leader of Israel
Paul...persecuted Christians turned great man of faith
Jonah....runaway preacher turned revival preacher

God uses broken, handicapped people all the time. He's ready for you ...so persevere my friend. And when you stumble, trip, hit a wrong note or a foul ball....stay close to Him. You're His masterpiece...even in the midst of your mistakes. 





No comments: