Thursday, January 8, 2009

Music to my ears!

Last night I was catching up at my friend's blog... http://redswriting.blogspot.com and after the page loaded I was taken back to the early 90's with her background music. Immediately I could remember where I was, what I was doing and even a small recollection of how I was feeling. Strange isn't it? It's not the first time that has happened and I am sure others have felt the same way. I remember being an awkward 17 year old, working at Stone Mountain Park, feeling like I needed to know exactly what I was suppose to do with my life after graduation. I remember the boy I had a crush on, the clothes that were in style and what the office I worked in looked like. Incredible since most of the time now, I can't remember if I unplugged the iron!

Music has a way of impacting our live like nothing else. We listen to sappy love songs when we break up, we listen to romantic ballads when we make up, we listen to hip-hop boogie music when we clean up, we listen to country music when we want to live it up, music from our childhood cheers us up and praise and worship music to offer up.

I've been involved in music since I was 5. I remember being in school and it being my favorite class, at age 11 I started piano lessons, in high school I became the church pianist, in college I paid my way through by playing piano for groups, I was in college choir, church choir, helped in children's choir, and since we have been in the ministry have done just about anything in music ministry...lead, sing, play, help. I'd say it has a huge place in my life.

No wonder so much of the psalms includes verses about music. It's strangely awesome that God would know so many years ago that music would be a way that everyone could express themselves. Whether words, instruments, dancing, leading or listening- may we all find a way to participate in the music around us. Now, I think I will listen to my playlist!

No comments: