Saturday, January 21, 2012

Menu Plan for January 23-30th

We're closing in on the end of the month and I gotta say this meal planning thing is working for us. I'm enjoying the ease of knowing what's for dinner before the clock strikes 5pm and I'm enjoying knowing we saved a huge amount of money this month by eating in. I've also learned a few things from some of the mistakes I've made.

1. Plan something super easy for Wednesday nights (this is our busy night). We deemed Wednesday night Pizza night at our house. We've done homemade before and I hope to get back to that, for January however, it's just been store bought at about $5 a pizza.

2. Realize the menu may need to be scrambled. It's not set in stone, so if something comes up and you need to trade meals it's no big deal...The menu planning police will not come get you.

3. Keeping a few extra meals on hands makes it easy to make a less fussy meal if something unexpected comes up. I did this with nachos one week when I forgot to start the crock pot!

4. Crock pot Lasagna is awesome... you can find the recipe at Betty Crocker's website ...however I do think adding a cup of water would help soften the noodles more uniformally.

From now on I'm not going to list my breakfast and lunch items because we are boring...we either eat cereal or breakfast bars or yogurt and fruit for breakfast. It NEVER changes. We eat sandwiches or leftovers for lunch. Everyday. I know...boring...but it works for us for now.

Without futher ado.....

Monday: Lasagna, green beans and salad
Tuesday: Chicken Stew, corn bread
Wednesday: Pizza
Thursday: Baked Chicken. Mexican Rice with corn and black beans, Pinnapple salad
Friday: Honey BBQ Chicken, sweet tater fries
Saturday: Breakfast for Dinner...we call this Brinner at our house!
Sunday: OTE (Out to Eat)

What's cookin' at your house this week?

No comments: