Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Proverbs 9 -Correction

Proverbs 9: 7 Whoever corrects a mocker invites insults; 
   whoever rebukes the wicked incurs abuse. 8 Do not rebuke mockers or they will hate you;
   rebuke the wise and they will love you. 
9 Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still;
   teach the righteous and they will add to their learning.

Have you ever been corrected by someone? Depending on what kind of mood I am in can really influence how I take the correction. According to Proverbs 9:7-9, a wise person takes correction and grows from it. It really doesn't matter what kind of mood I am in, or even who is doing the correction, I can learn something. 

I also noticed in these verses that they ward against spending to much time correcting the foolish (mocker, wicked). In fact it warns that you could be insulted or abused for it. The fact is it is better to be wise and corrected, than to be foolish and abusing. Anyway you look at it, wise people know how to take correction, instructions and rebuke. They will grow, learn and apply the correction and discipline to their life. 

That's the kind of person I want to be. Yes, it hurts our pride a bit when we are corrected. Yes, it might knock us down a notch of two...but in the scheme of things I'd rather be teachable, moldable and ready to grasp hold of the things God has for me, than too proud to accept that I don't know it all. 

I wanna be wise...taking hold of the truths of God's Word.


No comments: