Monday, February 7, 2011

Proverbs 7- Stay Away

I'm beginning to sense a theme is these last few chapters of Proverbs. Today the majority of the chapter is spent warning young men to wise up and stay away from the adulterous woman. In the first few verses there is the "if you do this...then this will happen". I love that so many of the proverbs give us principles like this one so we can see the benefits of doing what God commands. Look here:

1 My son, keep my words
   and store up my commands within you. 
2 Keep my commands and you will live;
   guard my teachings as the apple of your eye. 
3 Bind them on your fingers;
   write them on the tablet of your heart. 
4 Say to wisdom, “You are my sister,”
   and to insight, “You are my relative.” 
5 They will keep you from the adulterous woman,
   from the wayward woman with her seductive words.



This is the key principle discussed in this chapter. If you obey God's Word, listen to wisdom, keep it close to your heart, it (wisdom) will guide you and keep you far from the seductiveness of this world. This passage talks specifically about adultery, but really, couldn't it be anything, any type of sin? If I read, memorize and meditate on God's Word, His principles, then I am far less likely to be distracted or drawn away from the things that I know don't please Him. That's what the principle is here.


I am so thankful that God always provides a way out of temptation. Here He gives us the recipe for success. Embrace Godly, biblical wisdom and use it to stay away from the temptations and snares of this world. 

No comments: