Saturday, February 19, 2011

Makeover

On the way to school and church we travel a street where old, beautiful houses stand shoulder to shoulder. Sidewalks line the front yards and pretty, yet simple landscapes decorate each yard with shades of green and pinks and yellows. The turn of the century homes (1900's) are delightful, a real gem against the more modern homes this century boasts.

Yet, somewhere in the beauty I missed this one particularly gorgeous home....until recently. The reason I missed it? It was overgrown with unkept shrubs, trees that needed trimming and weeds. I don't know if it had been abandoned and recently reclaimed or if the warmer weather just happened to motivate the owners to spruce up the place, but regardless, the recent cleaning up, tree trimming, weed pulling is appreciated by house stalkers like myself!

It's unbelievable the difference the yard care is making on this property. The other day when I was on my way to school I saw a professional tree trimming service cutting off dead limbs, trimming away debris and shaping up some of the older more prestigious trees. I have no idea what a job like that would cost...but I am sure it cost something. As I went home from school that day and saw the progress being made, I was stunned. The front door could be seen from the road. The deep, rich, dark brick of the two story home was stately. I was soon coveting  wishing I lived there!

This home stumbled into my thoughts again this week as I was reading Psalm 51:10:

Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a right spirit within me.

On a daily basis I need a heart makeover. I need a professional trimming service to come in a clean up all the debris, dead stuff and maybe underneath all that there will be a slight glimmer of growth that can be nurtured and shaped up. Lately I've been more aware of what this sprucing up costs. The cost that was paid on a cross for all of this...the life that was given in place of my own, the grace that I walk in daily, the extreme love that is making over my life....leaves me breathless and choked up as I write this. Oh What a Savior!!! Thank you for saving this dilapidated soul from ruin.


No comments: