Sunday, May 10, 2009

Who Can Find a Virtuous Woman?


I Can!!! (Picture me with my hand up, flapping it in the wind...begging for the teacher to call on me!)

It's no secret that I have the best mom in the world (I know some of you want to argue....but...this is my blog and what I say is gospel!)

There are many beautiful words that describe her but I thought I would list some of my favorite things about her here:

1. She loves Jesus. It pours from her. She may not come right out and tell you she loves Him...she doesn't have to...she lives it. You don't have to be around her five minutes to know.

2. She loves her family. She has three pretty strong-willed kids and we have put her through a fair amount of ups and downs, but at the end of the day, none of us doubt where we stand in the love department with her.

3. She knows how to make a home look good on a budget. Growing up I remember her jaunts to flea markets and clearance sales. She furnished our home so beautifully on a budget. Her example of decorating, care and details has been passed down...I love making my home look nice. (If only my kids valued this...they will one day!)

4. She kissed my dad at the front door everyday when he left for work...and I am not talking about a little peck on the cheek. I'm talking about the "embarrass the kids" kind of kiss. This meant very little to me as a child (at least I thought)...but the older I get I realize that I never doubted whether or not my parents loved each other...and it was largely due to "that" kiss.

5. She is generous. There are very few people who have had the kind of life my mom has had. I wish I had permission to share all the things that she has endured so you could maybe better understand what an amazing virtuous woman she is. But even after all that...she is one of the most generous people I know. She has housed troubled teens, recovering drug addicts, single women. She has bought food for the hungry, paid bills that were not hers and given away things that others might think are priceless. She has given when she herself was in need.

So on this Mother's Day, having just returned from a week long stay with my mom, I find myself reflecting on the extreme rarity of virtuous women in the world today. I find myself not only thankful, but blessed that God chose Nancy Anderson as my mother.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Gina, I KNOW your Mom must be absolutely wonderful, and I think the apple does not fall far from the tree. Happy Mother's Day!