Monday, May 25, 2009

The Ultimate Sandwich


While on vacation last November we ate at Bennett's in Gatlinburg, TN. It's located right by the ski lift downtown. From outside you can smell the aroma of pit-smoked meat. If you weren't hungry before you got there....your stomach's growling now!

We looked over the menu and I saw The Ultimate Sandwich. I am a huge believer in eating unique food when I am out of town...so I ordered what sounded like a delicious toasted BBQ sandwich. Boy, I wasn't disappointed. In fact, I dissected it in the restaurant so that I could try to make it at home...

...and I have and today I am making them again. I have a beef roast slow cooking in the slow-cooker (wish I had a pit to smoke it on). After 8-10 hours there I will add seasonings and BBQ sauce and shred the meat. At the same time I will be sauteing green bell pepper and onion on the stove top (in olive oil). Simultaneously I will be toasting "Texas Toast" in the oven.

The assembly goes something like this:

On the Texas toast spread an additional amount of BBQ sauce (as desired), load the meat on however high you want it, top with sauteed peppers, onions and pickles. Top with other piece of Texas Toast...and EAT!

Try it! You'll like it!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

That is sounding quite delicious! Thanks for the great idea, Gina. Blessings-Kathy