Monday, April 4, 2011

The Hard Stuff

"Parenting is the hardest job you'll ever love." Somebody smart said that.

Because on this blog you get the good, the bad and the funny, I know you'll understand when I say that sometimes your parents words come back to haunt you....and that's sometimes good, sometimes bad and sometimes it's funny.

Did your folks ever say:

"This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you"? Yeah....that's the one that's haunting me tonight. It's been a rough day....and unfortunately  fortunately I think some lessons have been learned. For me....I totally got that hurting feeling you feel when you know you've disciplined your child, but it's been painful for both of you. Yes, there were tears, hugs, talking, guidance and for us, prayer.

Prayer.

Together and separately. While I was praying for wisdom, peace, guidance and direction, I'm pretty sure my child was probably praying for a pardon. But not this time. Nope. This was the time that we had to deal. And it was hard. And it was unpleasant. And it hurt me as much as it did them. And I don't want to ever have to do it again. But I will. Probably sooner than I want to think about. Because discipline and punishment are part of growing and becoming and learning and maturing and loving.

And I do love my kids.
And my God who told us how to handle this delicate hard stuff.

Thank you Lord.

No comments: