Thursday, January 14, 2010

Prayer for Haiti



Today I am reminded how important it is, as the body of Christ, to pray. As the news reports look more grim with each hour since the earthquake hit Haiti my prayer is that those Christians who will provide relief effort will share Jesus boldly with love. For those hurting from greater loss than I've ever known, may they receive the hope that comes from knowing Jesus and the peace that passes our earthly understanding.

My heart breaks for those who have lost loved ones, but mostly for those who weren't prepared to meet eternity. What a quick reminder that we are never promised our next breath. It's time to do more to tell others and share Christ at every opportunity.

Bruce summed it up last night at our church discipleship class.
He said, "When that earthquake hit, eternity welcomed 50,000+ people."
For a moment I thought to myself,
"I wonder how many knew Christ"
..and then another thought popped into my head
"I wonder how many didn't".

Sometimes the reality of heaven is so comforting that we neglect to think at all about the reality of hell.

I find myself motivated by remembering both places.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

I love Bruce's point, Gina. Eternity, and there are two places, welcomed however many have lost life through the earthquake. Let's pray for those whose lives are still hanging in the balance.