Saturday, January 23, 2010

Living Generously

My spiritual gift is not mercy. Big surprise to those who know me personally, I know.

That's why I sometimes find it amusing that God would have given me the spiritual gift of giving. What was He thinking?

Recently I have been thinking about ways that my family could demonstrate living generously. On our income, with two mortgages (house still hasn't sold in Gunter) and bills just like everyone else, I didn't know how it was going to happen, but asked God to begin opening doors. And he did...I love it when that happens.

I don't want to be generous because it will make me look good. I want to be generous because there is something in me that wants physical needs to be met so that Christ can be shared. Sometimes it's months before you know how someone's generousity has impacted another person, but it's encouraging to hear when you've played a small part in bringing someone to Christ.

On multiple occasions God has used the generousity of someone else to bless me. Just recently I can testify that our church was extremely generous by welcoming us on as staff, with meals, and a pounding and gift cards. This boosts my confidence in a God who will not see His children begging for bread. It endeared my heart to this congregation that was sensitive to the needs of others. And lastly, allowed my children to see the body of Christ working. They were amazed!

As a parent, I desire for my children to know the joys of giving generously. I don't want them to hold so tightly to possessions that they ignore the needs of those around them, or worse yet become hardened to the eternal result that can happen when someone's heart has been softened by the generousity of another.

I'd love to hear how you are teaching your children to be generous....or how you have been impacted by the generousity of another.

"Now this I say, he who sows sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he who sows bountifully shall also reap bountifully. Let each one do just as he has purposed in his heart; not grudgingly or under compulsion; for God loves a cheerful giver." 2 Corinthians 9:6-7




 

 

1 comment:

Kathy said...

"I don't want to be generous because it will make me look good. I want to be generous because there is something in me that wants physical needs to be met so that Christ can be shared."

I love this, Gina. I like being His vessel of blessing. The peace that comes from instant obedience in giving is truly amazing.

One of our ways of generosity is to have people over for dinner often, and to take meals to others as the needs arise. It's something we really enjoy doing. We love to give away things that we know we could sell for a price, and simply bless someone instead.