Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Your Home Under Fire

I was reminded today at lunch that my home is under fire.

A godly woman spoke the words I've thought a thousand times.

"There is no place Satan wants in more than your home." 

Within the walls of our homes are the things that most women cherish the most...our husbands and our children. Not much else matters when counting our tangible blessings. But, what I've been pondering lately is what can I do to protect and shelter my home from the fiery darts of the enemy. I know that the world is wrestling for my kids and my husband...and me, but I want, within the walls of our home, for there to be some sense of safety. A sheltering place, a refuge, a place where we've prepared and prayed and planned for the distractions of this world to be less.

Is it possible?

I don't know. (I say that a lot). I guess there are no guarantees but I'd like to think that God would honor our efforts to prepare our homes as a sanctuary for holiness, as a place where Satan and his agents are not welcomed by invitation. Here are a few things that we're working on at our home to safeguard our greatest treasures.

1. Pray together... at meals, at bedtime, at devotions, when you hear a siren, when someone is sick, when something good happens, when you're fearful. Pray out loud together. This models for your kids that you go to God in everything. I found out a neat little tidbit at the end of the school year with my kids. Bruce always took the kids to school since I left to teach so early. He was out of town towards the end of the year and we were riding together to school and one of the kids piped up that it was their day to pray. Seems that they had been taking turns praying on the way to school all year long. Way to go dad!

2. Censor your media viewing...Whether it's TV, magazines, music videos, the internet. I've been too lax in this area in the past. Although we've had a boundary it hasn't been near what it should be and unfortunately many of the attitudes and actions and vocabulary that kids pick up are influenced heavily by TV. So, earnestly pray about and be aware of what your kids watch...and what you watch too. Just because you're an adult doesn't mean that you're untouchable. The attitudes of the enemy are not selective when he throws his fiery darts.

3. Talk about issues. The dinner table is a great place to talk about what's going on in the world (given that your kids are a little older). Healthy debate and biblical foundations can be formed and polished if you know how God's Word applies to issues. This not only helps your kids form a Biblical worldview, it also keeps the up to date with current events and issues that they may be faced to defend of take a stand against. Home is a great place to practice defending your faith.

4. Keep perspective of eternity. There's an old saying that says "Don't be so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good". I've meet people through the years (and might have actually been that person in some instances) that knew so much about what God's word had to say, yet the way they conveyed their information was so contrary to the love filled way God presents Himself. We can't grow weary in doing right. God's word tells us we will reap what we sow. However, if all I do is produce a generation of children that knows the legalities of God's word without the heart knowledge of Christ Jesus, I may instead raise a generation of arrogant, self consumed, holier than thou kids, who only know rules and not grace. Eternity is about grace. Remember that.

5. Treasure you time with your spouse. If like most couples, it's not near as much as you would like, but nevertheless, don't underestimate the power of a thirty minute talk over the grill, 15 minutes of quiet time before the kids get up or a once a month date night. Satan wants nothing more than to get you so busy so that you can't fit time with your spouse in your schedule. It's those moments spent in conversation or just in quiet comfort that your relationship is renewed, strengthened and made more fireproof. Neglect this point and you'll probably move from happy to lonely to looking for something to fill your heart vacancies...and that's where you'll need the fire department...because your home will be under fire.

Of course this list isn't exhaustive. We could talk for hours about ways to safeguard our most valuable commodities. I'm wondering, what would you add to the list.... share it in a comment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm stopping by from the linkup at OnlyABreath.
I love this list. It's so true. And often, although home is where we most need our guard, we can leave it defenseless when we become to "busy" with life.
My husband and I are truly working on praying aloud more often together. It has been such a blessing to my spirit and his as well I believe. I'm most convicting by being aware of the "entertainment" playing in my home. It's something I do need to pay more attention to.
As far as adding to this list? The only thing I would add is staying committed to reading my Bible a bit every day. Mostly because it's through that personal quiet time with Jesus I learn more about Him and can keep my focus on Him throughout the day, hopefully, clinging to Him as God helps to make me more like Him.
Really enjoyed this post, thanks for the wonderful suggestions. :)

Anonymous said...

LOVE this post! Thank you so much for this. You are so right, and I am encouraged by your writing.

Thank you for linking up, sweet friend! Praying your upcoming week is a blessed one!
Blessings,
Melanie ~ OnlyABreath.com