Thursday, March 5, 2009

Tribute to a Father

Today is the anniversary of my dad's death. It's been 18 years. I've now been without him as many years as I had him. Seems strange since those memories are so close to my heart. I've done a little reflecting over the last few years, about what I really miss the most by not having him here on earth. Here's a list:

1. I miss that he will never meet Bruce (my husband)
2. I miss that my kids will never know what an awesome man he was
3. I miss that my mom will not grow old with the man she gave her heart to in 1968
4. I miss that he will never be here to give me advice on how to raise Tucker...since he obviously knew something about raising a strong willed boy!--if you know my brother, you don't have to ask how!
5. I miss the thoughtful things he did, like bringing home a blockbuster movie and candy bars for family movie night.
6. I miss how devoted he was. I think he video taped every basketball game my brother, sister and I ever played...and we all played about 5 years....3 different teams.
7. I miss how he protected me from people and places that might bring me harm.
8. I miss how he kissed my mom at the front door everyday before he left for work.
9. I miss his hilarious sense of fashion...he was color blind!
10. I miss his dedication to things eternal...people, the church, the Word of God.

He was an amazing man. His son is the greatest example of who he was. My brother walks, talks and acts like him. Sometimes it almost feels like he's around when I am around him. What a feeling that is!

He's missed. Those who knew him- loved him, those who loved him...were blessed.

2 comments:

Keelie said...

I'm praying for you today. I know he is a very proud dad.

Kathy said...

Gina, I think your Dad would be so proud of you. Your heart for the Lord was the ONE thing he really wanted you to catch!!! : )