Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mission....Accomplished

Today was the last day of the Mission Gunter's weekly Wednesday morning SAM (Summer Arts and More) Club. The children ended this six week program with ballroom dancing lessons. I am sure that some of the boys wished they had slept in...but for the most part the kiddos participated well...and even had a little fun. They learned rumba and swing moves.

It was a bitter-sweet day for me. I watched as these kids danced and goofed off and was reminded that today was our last day...mine in particular. This was my last official day with The Mission Gunter (I'll still be gardening...don't worry!) (http://missiongunterblog.blogspot.com or www.missiongunter.com) and as I was walking through the Mission Hall at the old school it hit me....yes, the water works began! Poor Keelie had to be the witness as the emotional goodbye filled my eyes.

After looking back through old email and just remembering how God has done such an amazing thing in Gunter has made me so thankful to just be a part of it all. When Keelie and I first started talking about starting The Mission 2 years ago, I doubt either of us knew how quickly so many God-size goals would be accomplished.

To date God has allowed us to:

coordinate food drives, distribute food to numerous families, open a clothes closet, begin monthly community meals for free, operate SAM Club for 2 summers, Mission Minds Tutoring program for the middle school, Mission Field Community Garden, Health Fair for 2 winters, sponsor numerous back packs for kids going back to school and more.

Please don't think I am tooting our own horn. I listed all that because somewhere down the road, there will be a day when I need to remember how God worked in my life in a giant way. This is my rememberance. My Ebenezer Rock. I Samuel 7:12 says Samuel took a single rock and set it upright between Mizpah and Shen. He named it "Ebenezer" (Rock of Help), saying, "This marks the place where God helped us."
We all need a place where we can come back and remember. This list reminds me of how God:

uses any one who is willing,
provides financially,
is interested in people,
honors obedience,
sees beyond our weakness,
provides wisdom,
loves surprises,
and more and more and more.

It's been my privilege to work with the amazing people affiliated with the Mission. They are moms, dads, students, teachers, housewives, business owners, wealthy, middle class, poor, educated and uneducated...all loving God enough to be the hands and feet of Jesus in their own town. I've been blessed.

I'm so happy to know that God has given Keelie and the Mission Board of Directors the vision to minister to the people of Gunter. It's not surprising that God has worked out all the details. I look forward with anticipation to hear the great things that will be happening!

Now on to the next chapter of my life....I am equally as excited to be available for whatever God has planned! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Keelie said...

It's definitely been a wonderful, exciting experience beginning this ministry with you. I know that you will take the experience and put it to good use wherever the Lord leads. It was our prayer from the beginning that The Mission would continue on for years after both of us are gone. That is still my prayer and I know it is yours as well. I believe that the foundation has been built on The Rock and the people of this community will be ministered to for years to come. Praying and waiting for the harvest!
Love you!
Keelie