Sunday, February 22, 2009

Greater Things...

For Christmas Bruce bought me 2 tickets to see Chris Tomlin in concert. The concert was Saturday evening. He suggested I take Savannah since she loves Chris Tomlin's music. So we made an entire GNO of it. Shopping (Target), dinner at her place of choice (chick-fil-a) and the concert...which also included drinks, chocolate and nachos (the girl can put away some food!)

We enjoyed the opening act ...Israel and New Breed. We knew way more of their songs than we thought and before you knew it...we were standing, clapping with the thousands of others in the Nokia Theatre. Chris Tomlin was up after intermission and for the next hour people stood listening, singing, praising, worshipping. It was quite an hour.

About halfway through his concert he sang "Jesus Messiah". Savannah and I were standing there together when he got to the chorus. As if on cue, from a rehearsal earlier in the day Savannah's hands lifted into the air in praise and worship. It was a moment I will never forget. She hadn't looked at me to see what I was doing. She wasn't trying to draw attention to herself. She wasn't doing it because people around us were pressuring her to raise hands.

I know some might not understand why this is such a big deal to me. I'll try to explain. There's only been one really constant praying in my life in regards to my kids. It's been that they know Jesus from an early age. I don't mean that they just ask him into their "heart" and that's it...I mean I want then to begin knowing HIM in a growing relationship while they are still young. I want Savannah and Tucker to worship our God in an uninhibited way...from an early age. I want them to know nothing they could ever do can separate them from God's unconditional love. I want them to know that no matter where they are, HE is available, willing and able to take care of them. I want them to grow in the understanding of their salvation.

So, in this moment of worship and total consumption of our Jesus, Messiah, my heart was touched to tears as I realized to some degree she is on her journey to know Jesus more. Her total liberty and passionate worship overflowed to me and even those around us as she unassumingly lifted her hands in praise and worship to our Jesus Messiah.

Greater things are still to come...I can't wait to see how God chooses to use her life.

1 comment:

Kathy Carlton Willis said...

Oh Gina--this is a beautiful testimony. Thank you so much for sharing it. I think this story would also be very suitable for a compilation type book--it is something many Christian mothers can relate to--a desire for your children to make the true connection with loving Jesus and knowing He loves them. What a God-filled weekend you've had! Blessed indeed.