Thursday, February 5, 2009

American Idol

Ok...I admit it...I am addicted to American Idol. I think I have watched every episode of every season except season one. Savannah was born right before season 2 started and we were home bound until she was about 9 months. My TV habits were strange and varied and none have stuck through the years with the exception of Idol. If you are tuning in to this season then you are highly aware of "bikini girl". Warning....I need to vent....

Bikini girl has gotten excessive attention..not because of her talent, but because of her body. Simon and Randy have to wipe the drool from their mouths as she trots along the stage. It's nearly nauseating. While my frustration is partly due to the lusty element it adds to the show, I am also very dismayed that so little attention has been paid to the blind man who is HIGHLY talented. Last night's show spent minutes covering bikini girls bad attitude, language, high drama and lack of team work...but they didn't even show the guy who is beating the odds by just showing up to audition...not to mention that fact that he has an awesome voice. FRUSTRATING!

It shows me that we as a society have placed our values so low that we would rather watch a scantily clad young women, with obvious Paris Hilton type issues, walk across a stage than to watch a man, who needs assistance getting to the stage, because he is blind, but can actually sing and inspire people. Are we that shallow? Yes, we are.

Check out the audition here: http://tvblips.dailyradar.com/video/blind_man_auditioning_for_american_idol_new_season/

No comments: