Saturday, September 21, 2013

Cleaning Out the Closet

It all started this week when Savannah asked if she could try on a pair of my Cons...thinking her foot was big enough for me to "share" them with her...and by share, I'll remind you that anytime a tweenager wants to borrow something of yours, it usually means you will never see it again. But for the few minutes it took her to try on the shoes, I thought about how cool it was that she even wanted to wear anything that happened to be in my closet...cause that would make me a cool mom, right? Whatever.

Anyhow, I digress. It was only a couple of hours later when I went into my bedroom and saw that the shoe bin, where the converse had been was a wreck --- not because of Savannah, but because of the sloppy mess my closet was in..hangers sticking out of the show bin, belts and purses tossed into the depths of darkness that had become my closet. So, I put it on my mental check list and thought...maybe I'll have time for that soon...like after Christmas.

However, in a series of fortunate events, I ended up home alone this afternoon. All by my lonesome and since I had this good fortune yesterday also, I figured today I better use my time more wisely. So, with full body armor on, I began taking ever single thing out of my closet. It was time for an overhaul.

Here's how I decided what to get rid of:

1. If I didn't wear it during the last season ...get rid of it.
2. If I don't love it... get rid of it.
3. If it's stained.. get rid of it (trash).
4. If I have more than one of the same item...choose wisely, but keep only one.
5. If it doesn't fit and it would take losing more than 25 pounds for it to look good on me, get rid of it.
(cause if I lose 25 pounds...I'm buying something new!)
6. If it's missing something...a button, a belt, a match... get rid of it.


Here's what I learned...

1. I have a slight obsession with cardigans...like I have LOTS of them..and I have no plans to get rid of them.


2. I also have a true love for the ALL STAR Converse. Thank you Jaime and Felicia for helping me find my way.


3. A clean closet makes me happy...cause I know what's in there. 

I think there are a hundred spiritual applications to my little venture into the closet. The one that spoke most loudly today was...When you get rid of all the stuff that you don't need it allows you to utilize your best stuff. So many times we think more is better, but more just gets in the way of using the blessings and the gifts God has already given us. I truly want to be a wise servant in using what He's given me...whether it be my talents, my gifts, my time. But if life is cluttered by a bunch of my junk, I'm hindered and distracted and even frustrated by it. I want to use what I have to honor God, therefore, I must constantly be cleaning out my spiritual closet as well. Do I really need that thought? Do I need that attitude...does it have a match to the attributes of God? 

Oh so many, are the lessons.


No comments: