Thursday, October 14, 2010

I Believe

There are A LOT of things that I don't understand about God. According to HIS Word, the Bible, it's not meant for me to understand everything.


"My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,' says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9


Nor do I think that just because I don't understand some things easily that I should just give up. In fact some of my most meaningful Bible discoveries have come because of intense personal study (wrestling sometimes) with God's Words on my own heart. What I have personally come to terms with in my own life is the beauty of the mystery of God. As a human there is NO. POSSIBLE. WAY. for me to understand everything about God. In fact, it really nauseates me to hear someone talk like they've got it all figured out. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing someone talk about the complexities of the scriptures but at the end of the day there are enough black and whites of the Bible that occupy my time and efforts. 


But over time I've come to believe a basic "core" for my life:


I believe God loved the world so much that He sent His Son to die for all. Period. 


Do I understand this?  Absolutely not. I cannot fathom a love that would (1) bring a child into the world for the sake of sending him into a world that would reject Him, persecute Him, torture Him and kill Him in His prime of life in a horrific fashion (2) and all the while, have the power to stop it (3) and yet, not stop it. (4) I can't imagine saying His life was worth every murderers, rapists, abusers, thieves, liars, ....(insert sin of anykind here) 5. I don't understand that after that HUGE sacrifice, my God could still love people who might never turn to Him.


I don't understand it, but I believe it. It is the very character of God that is questioned when we wonder if He could of, would of, should of sent His Son into the world to die for all mankind. He did. The reason we try to rationalize that God couldn't have possible sent His Son into the world to die for the world (all people ever born) is because we compare the character of God with our own. We couldn't, so God couldn't? I think not. His Ways....His Character...His Love is higher than anything we can possible imagine.


Here's who God sent His Son to die for:


1. For all (1 Timothy 2:6; Isaiah 53:6).
2. For every man (Heb. 2:9).
3. For the world (John 3:16).
4. For the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2).
5. For the ungodly (Rom. 5:6).
6. For false teachers (2 Peter 2:1).
7. For many (Matthew 20:28).
8. For Israel (John 11:50-51).
9. For the Church (Eph. 5:25).
10. For "me" (Gal. 2:20). 



God isn't limited in His ability to forgive. Thankfully. 


His Son was used and abused while He walked on earth...and unfortunately He continues to be today. It's not because God didn't value His own Son....It's because He loved the world so much...He wanted to rescue us from the grasp of hell, offer us an eternal life in a heavenly place that our minds cannot even imagine. He is just because He gives us the choice, he doesn't force or make an eternal decision for us. He gives us a free will to accept this free gift. It wouldn't be free if there were stipulations of behavioral change, attitude modifications and detoured desires. The fact is that MANY people do desire those changes, but it is largely due to the discipleship and spiritual transformation and conviction from God's Word after they begin their relationship with Him. 


Thank you God for sending your precious, perfect, holy Son for the world. Unconditionally. Undeservedly. Thank You! I don't understand it, cannot fathom it, don't question it...but embrace it and want to share the hope HE offers to a world in need! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

2 comments:

~Jaime~ said...

Amen, Amen and Amen!!!!

F. Deaton said...

Nail. On. The. Head. Great insight Gina! I am in complete agreement-excellent post.