Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering

It's 9/11.....do you remember where you were, what you were doing, how you felt?

I was at home, in the parsonage of our church in Beaumont, Texas,  in the room I had transformed into a schoolroom, while I was homeschooling four 9th grade boys. The school day had just begun and my phone rang. Bruce was on the other end. He had gone to the next town down the road to get a flat fixed. He asked me if the TV was on. I said no. He told me to turn it on. At first I was hesitant...I was schooling these boys....we really didn't have time to watch TV. But he wanted to know what was going on. I tuned in...and the rest is well...history. As the boys and I sat glued to the TV for most of the school day, I remember all to well the feelings or insecurity, sadness, fear and unbelief.

Bruce called the school in our small town and let them know if any of the students needed someone to talk with, that our church would be open for prayer after school. But before school dismissed people were already showing up at the church. The next day, the principal of the school gave students the opportunity to leave during the day and come to the church to pray. An unbelievable opportunity to share Christ now that I look back at it.

I remember the evening of 9/11....standing in a circle with over 100 people, holding hands and praying for our president, our military, our government officials and the families who suffered tragic loss. People who never when to church darkened the doors during those days following the attacks. In their despair and confusion over the world they hoped to find something more stable, substantial and steadfast. Thankful Jesus is always the answer to the world's problems.

What about you? What do you remember about 9/11?

No comments: