Friday, December 5, 2008

Unto Us...

I have been thinking a lot about the Christmas season and what it is beginning to look like in my family as our children grow. In my quiet time this week I was reading in Isaiah:
"Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given....and the chastisement of our sin was upon him."
This passage of scripture hit me like a ton of bricks. It is SO very personal. These personal pronouns in the passage emphasis the individual gift Jesus is to each person on earth. He is like the perfectly selected gift you search for at Christmas. He's not the bulk packaging you find at SAM's or Costco. This very individual Savior wants a personal, intimate, one on one relationship with me. I've known this for most of my life, but reading about it in the Old Testament, through the prophecy of our coming Savior, brought things full circle for me. There's been some talk recently about the song "Above All" that we sing at church. The song talks about when Jesus was hanging on the cross that He was thinking of me "above all". Well, I don't know about when He was on the cross...but I certainly think that people are the most important thing to him and that his relationship with me is personal and that perhaps in his omniscience I am what he thinks about....after all He came to us (me)...given in the package of a tiny baby to us (me), to take our (my) sin and yours on himself. How much more personal, individual and perfect a gift could there be to share this season.

No comments: