Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Teaching Tuesday

When things aren't working like you'd hoped they would...
When your kids are behind in school and you don't know how to help...
When extra pressures are frustrating you and them...

What do you do?

We are facing some of these issues right now in our home. We have had a rough year getting everything in for school partly because of our recent move, partly because of scheduling conflicts and partly because when we are stressed we can become dysfunctional and a little stress-paralyzed. I pray I am not the only one.

But because we do homeschool, I feel an enormous amount of pressure to get back on track fast when these things happen. So last night as I was talking with Savannah, I realized she was feeling an enormous amount of pressure...school, friends, future, small business, ACT testing....it was just getting to her. So we paused. Cried. Evaluated. Regrouped. Prayed and made a plan. We are going to go to a more collegiate schedule for her school, where she can focus three days on the subjects that really eat her lunch and two days on the ones that she eases through. I could see relief on her face as soon as we made the decision. Hopefully this will work.

But isn't that the beauty of homeschooling?....getting to adjust the schedule when you need to....making it work for the student and the teacher....looking at the makeup of the child and getting to do what is best for her? I love it. It's not the first time we've rerouted and I am sure it won't be the last. 

I am sure glad God's grace is bigger than our bad days....because even in homeschooling we need that new grace and mercy everyday.

No comments: