Friday, January 18, 2019

New Habits...

With the new year I decided it was time my kids start using their own alarm clocks to get up in the morning and that the mom clock was retiring. So now every night before bedtime I ask if alarms are set for the morning. I'm sure I am super late coming to this but....MOM WIN.  I don't worry about it (now, honestly speaking, I'm not sure that I really worried about it...but it's no longer my concern.) 

I also made a list of 5 things they need to accomplish before school begins each day. This has helped our homeschool mornings start much more smoothly. I sent these lists to them via text message so that they would have no excuse for forgetting what was on the list....another MOM WIN.

I had grown a little bit lazy in my parenting before the end of the year. I had let some good behaviors and habits slide because...holidays get crazy in the parsonage. But in the end the one that was left overwhelmed and stressed was me and it just wasn't worth it. I was grumpy, yelling and in a disorganized state of mind. 

As the caretaker of the house, I get to make routines and choices and decisions that can either help or hinder me from running a smooth household. There are certain things that are important to me, and others that while I like to have them done, are less important. So, since I am the caretaker I am forming new habits that help our home run smoothly, help instill responsibility and good habits in my kids (hopefully....we are a work in progress). No, the house isn't perfect, and sometimes we have to adjust to different things that come our way, but we are doing better and these new routines are becoming new habits that will help us run our house more efficiently. 

What new habits are you forming this new year?

No comments: