Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Teachable Tuesdays....New Pajamas!

For Christmas I got new pajamas...the kind that are soft and comfy and that you start thinking about around 3pm when your eyes start to droop from a carb overload lunch or late night binge watching the night before. These were what I call replacement pajamas. You see I have a pair of well worn blue polka dotted PJs that I've had for years. They are "broken in". Most ladies know what this means but just in case let me explain. The shirt has long ago been discarded and traded for a soft t-shirt that doesn't necessarily match. The feel of the t-shirt is much more important than the style. The pajama pants are clearly worn...the waist drawstring is frayed and knotted and perhaps has even partly come out in the laundry. There could be a few small holes and even some paint stains from the time I had a pajama craft day. These jammies have seen better days.
But last night as I was getting ready for bed, I reached for the old faithful pair of PJ's. The comfort of the well worn fabric, the familiar feeling of softness....all so welcoming ....even tho...the new pajamas from Christmas were staring me right in the face. But I chose familiar, old and stained.
This morning, as I looked down at my old ratty looking pajamas God reminded me that He has new clothes for those willing to leave the comfort of the familiar. When we become part of his family our filthy rags, our ratty grave clothes can be left behind because much like the father of the prodigal son, God the Father has sent His son to give us a robe of righteousness. I don't have to wear these old clothes. I have new clothes because He has made me new. I don't have to stay in the filth of my sin stained garments.
And isn't that comforting? Isn't that just about the best news ever? I'm so grateful I don't have to walk around looking like a forsaken child. I have the choice to walk in newness. Thank you God for the giving us fresh clothes to walk in today.

No comments: