Wednesday, January 28, 2015

You Can Only Wash Your Face with Antibacterial Soap for So Long...

Romans 12:2- Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I stated in an earlier post in January that I got some pretty good facial wash for Christmas from my sister. It's supposed to be renewing my skin....taking off the dead scaly skin and rejuvenating my skin to look like I'm 16 again...or hey...I'll take 26 or even 36!!! You know....you can only use that hand soap on the bathroom counter so many years before it starts taking a toll on your skin. And after more than 20 years of just using whatever I had, I noticed my skin wasn't handling it as good as it did in my first 2 decades....the last two have not been as kind! LOL. My skin was dry, scaly, blemished, the wrinkles were more defined and there were even uneven skin tones (GASP).

So after a month of using the miracle facial wash, guess what?

They are all still there.

WHAT?!?!

Yes, you heard right.....because it's going to take more than a month to heal the damage I've done to my skin all these years. In fact, it might never heal completely. There will be remnants that only I know about...maybe a scar or a dry patch or even something I cover up with concealer (which I just bought my first tube of EVER this past weekend....because I finally replaced the lightbulb over the mirror in the bathroom and I was like WOAH Girl! You need some concealer.....you gotta cover those dark circles up pronto). It's going to be a long ongoing process.

And that's how it is spiritually speaking...The "ing" in renewing in Romans 12:2,  makes this word unending. It's a continual process of renewing our minds...cleansing and rejuvenating. It's a habitual practice of hydrating our lives with the Living Water. No book, or commentary or well known teacher or even your preacher can renew your mind (I know this because I'm married to my preacher and he's been trying to change my mind about football for about 22 years now...and it's not worked yet!)-- It's just not possible for someone else to renew my mind....It's a process I have to be in the habit of making happen. Just like cleansing my skin everyday....The process of renewing my mind only happens when I am consistently obedient to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and the commands found in His Word,  to clean up the dirty, dry, scaly places in my life.

So maybe you, like me, sometimes find yourself feeling old, dried up, scaly or dirty....remember renewing your mind....is a process that is ongoing. It's not a one time face lift that happened at salvation. It is part of our sanctification process. We have not arrived. We are a work in progress....and one day we will be perfectly complete (Praise the LORD!)...but until then, we've got to get into the daily routine of taking care of our minds....focusing on the things of God and allowing His Spirit to heal the broken places and renew us.

Just like there are benefits to taking good care of your face....there are good benefits to renewing our mind...it says "That ye may be able to know the good and perfect and pleasing will of God". That's a benefit none of us can really afford to miss.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against antibacterial soap....when used properly....it serves a great purpose...just like books and speakers and preachers and your mom's advice. It's when we place our trust in those things and depend on them to renew us that we buy into the lie that something other  than Jesus can do that job. And that isn't happening. 

No comments: