Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Summer of Song

Music. The universal language. I remember standing in the store front church in Pichanaki, Peru for a worship service earlier this summer and listening as the small congregation of Peruvians sang worship songs to the Lord. I remember thinking what an awesome thing that God understands the universal language of worship. He doesn't have to know your native tongue because He knows your heart. That's all that matters.

This summer I've had the blessing of singing with an ensemble at church. I've loved it. It's been a while since I've sang with four part harmony in a small group and it's been so much fun. The people that I get to sing with each week have been hard working, fun, talented. Our worship choir will start back up in a few weeks and then I'll get to enjoy all the big sounds of many voices. It's all a win win for me because it's all about the music and the words and the worship. 

I sing at home, not necessarily in the shower, but it would not be unusual for you to pop in and find us with the music loud. I sing in the car....I usually am also beating on the steering wheel in some drummer type fashion...and from the time my kids were little they've had "their" song that I sing to them at bed time. 

Music has the power to take us back to places we first heard a song, it can carry us from sadness to joy, from anger to love, from frustration to peace. It's comforting, energizing, soothing, prayerful, insightful. It spans language barriers, cultural differences and generations. 

No wonder God gave it to us. I'm reminded that He has placed the New Song in my heart. The one that is different from the world. The one that worships Him. The one that whispers and shouts in the same breathe that Jesus in the only one for me. 

Psalm 40:3

He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God;
         Many will see and fear
         And will trust in the LORD.

No comments: