Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Please Don't Send Me to Africa

When I was in college the song,  "Please Don't Send Me to Africa" was popular among Christians. It was a humorous take on the seriousness of giving your life fully to Christ. I've never been particularly scared to go to Africa, but if you know Bruce and his horrible fear of snakes, then you know it would be an act of GOD if we ever ended up living in Africa.

However, this week is our mission's conference at church. It's been over 5 years since I have sat in one. I've sat in services where there have been missionaries speaking, but it's been a while since I got to have some one on one time with these heroes. They are remarkable.

Sunday's message was brought by a college friend of ours who is home on furlough from Peru. He talked about the kingdom of God and our treasure. He used bits and pieces of illustrations from Francis Chan's book Crazy Love. The basic gist of the sermon was that when we take hold of the treasure then it will take hold of ever area of our life. Things will be measured by the impact for Christ rather than how much it cost, or the mere temporary discomfort or insecurity we may experience temporarily speaking. He talked about how society has adopted this idea of control...and yet God says he wants a "Take my Life" sort of attitude from Christians. He talked about the radical crazy love God has for us, and desires from us. The sermon was beautiful yet, heart wrenching. God spoke to me.

I've been asking God to do some things since that service Sunday. I feel like I've been waiting around wondering what He wants me to do for the kingdom. Sunday I sort of laid it all out for Him to see (of course He already knew.) I am anxious to see what happens. He's already working!

1 comment:

Heart2Heart said...

Gina,

Keeping you in my prayers that God will reveal those future plans He has for you and show you which direction you need to go.

In case you get the chance, stop by my blog today for a great opportunity to enter another giveaway I'm doing.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat