Last Sunday evening on our way out of church we decided to go eat with another family from the church. Bruce offered to select the eating establishment and when he said "Pit Grill" I shuddered. I have driven by the Pit Grill many times since moving here 2 months ago. It's not pretty. However, not to judge a book by it's cover, or a restaurant by it's location, I waited to see what the other's reaction would be. I've been to lots of whole in the wall places that were diamonds in the rough. The difference....I heard things like....gross, salmonella, food poisoning and more mentioned about the Pit Grill-But, Bruce wanted to eat there-bad.
So, we loaded up and headed to the infamous, open 24 hours a day, Pit Grill. We drove up and everyone got out of the cars. I am amazed we were able to find our way to the door- the thick smell and fog of cigarette smoke was so thick. We self-seated ourselves to the back of the place thinking the smell of smoke would be somewhat better....um, NO!
We ordered. I was scared frankly. I ordered a BLT, thinking as long as the bacon is done, it should be ok. Meanwhile, I could hardly breathe. I took Savannah to the bathroom, which was surprisingly clean, and she asked what that smell was. I don't guess she's ever been around cigarette smoke before.
Our food arrived, and guess what? It wasn't too bad. I'd rate it with Waffle House or other establishments like that. But I could hardly enjoy it for the SMOKE! Needless to say we didn't have any lingering fellowship inside the restaurant that night...however we did stand outside and chat for a bit!
Moral of the story:
No matter what things look like on the outside, or even how good the company is or how clean your bathroom is, if you're full of smoke...everyone is gonna know it eventually.