Tuesday, February 19, 2019

One Hour Cleanup

I'm not gonna lie...

Last week I just about hit my breaking point.

Life seemed disorderly. I was being pulled in all sorts of directions. Clean clothes were a well sought out commodity and I couldn't find my keys.

Now before you go thinking I am usually a neat freak....let me assure you that is not the case. I usually have a stack of something to go through on my kitchen counter, there's usually a pile of dog hair that I missed somewhere when sweeping, I keep my bedroom door closed for a reason and there is always a load of laundry to be washed and a toilet to be swished. But usually, at first glance things can look pretty tidy.

But not last week. And I was turning into the Incredible Mrs. Hulk because it looked like the four little pigs had taken up residence in my home. It was beyond the norm.

Bruce realized I was near "hulk green" on Saturday morning after he was already at church working. It had been a crazy week with the install of a new sound system and other ministry related things going on and I knew he was tired too. I had tried to hold back, but I was at the breaking point that no man ever wants to see their wife reach...the hide under the covers for days with peanut butter cups and ruffles potato chips breaking point.

When Bruce realized I was about to lose it, he came home. But first he stopped at Whataburger, and picked up food. I guess he realized it would be better if I wasn't hangry too! We sat around the kitchen table and divided up the household chores with the kids and we got busy. In one hour the house was picked up and smelling clean and all that was left was the kids rooms (which they are responsible for). I felt so much better. Order had returned to our home.

Spiritually speaking we can find ourselves in the same scenario. Life can get crazy and we miss spending time with the Lord on a personal level, then we miss a church service or two, we start scheduling things around life instead of around what God has for us and we lose fellowship with other believers. It can happen quickly because that is how the enemy operates...quick, stress-filled, hurried decisions that he makes us feel are life and death, when in reality, we just need to slow down, do a one hour clean up of life and carefully evaluate what has us stressed out or too busy.

One hour in the scheme of things is nothing. It is such a small investment in your sanity. And just like with my house, one hour can be the difference between the Incredible Hulk and Mrs. Incredible! Take the time to nourish yourself...take the time to clean up spiritually on a regular basis. If we don't we become burdened by the filth we live in and consumed by our own circumstances. God made a better way. Daily communion, cleanup with Him. Imagine that. He is always making a way of escape for us. What a good God!

No comments: