Monday, February 22, 2010

Farmer Gina

On Saturday, with a dripping nose and a cough that sounded like a barking dog, I ventured out into my yard to start clearing the spot where I am itching to plant my garden vegetables. The weather was a little overcast but the temperatures were just right.

So out by pond #2 I started clearing the old brush and weeds. Before you know it, I had unveiled beautiful, rich, black soil. I love black dirt. It's a bit different from the Georgia clay that I grew up around! It took a couple of hours, some sweat, one coughing fit, a water break and a big rake to tackle the project, but once it was done.....so nice! I have lots of little piles of straw, weeds, dead plants and small limbs all around my yard...but that one area is looking so good. So ready. It's calling my name. One more week. I can't wait!

For cool weather planting I am planting from seed:

Broccoli
Spinach
Carrots
Onions
Potatoes
Peas

I'm also planting:

Shasta Daisies
Gladiolus

It's going to be beautiful!

4 comments:

Keelie said...

You will be happy (and possbily shocked) to know that Justin has taken on the job of Mission Field coordinator this year--with no prompting from me. Should prove to be an interesting summer.

And yes--I was thinking about our 5 am walks just the other day. That was when we really got to know each other. BUt what on earth were we thinking? 5 am?

You are doing so good! Keep it up:)
Keelie

Kathy said...

I'm impressed, Gina! It will be productive and beautiful, all in one!

Heart2Heart said...

Gina,

I can't wait to see what all your hardwork produces in just a few short months!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

F. Deaton said...

You go girl! It will be beautiful, and yummy, when it's all said and done! Now if I can find some motivation, or perhaps good weather, to work on my garden!!!