Saturday, December 26, 2009

Running-Reaching-Resting

Three little words that fit nicely below the "Journaling Gina" blog title.  They perfectly describe this life that I've been given. And lately- I've been doing some thinkin' about this life....a lot!

I was spurred to thinking more deeply about all this after a sermon by missionary Brent Williams (to Peru). He and his sweet family are making our church and town home for their year of furlough. Bruce and I went to college with Brent and Miriam so it's been great to re-connect after all these years. Brent spoke about how we (Christians)  are so consumed with having the next latest and greatest that we (in general...maybe not you, but certainly me, sometimes) get caught up in working too hard (on anything not eternal) and not hard enough on putting a priority on family. He gave some extremely interesting stats on families that eat together and the positive way this influences children. I was stunned.

Being a homeschooling family I have let myself off the hook more times that I'd like to admit when it comes to "family" issues- After all....I HOMESCHOOL! I am with my kids 24/7. But in the quietness of a sanctuary a couple of Sunday evenings ago, I realized that I've let some priorities get out of whack. Some of my good intentions have taken a back burner and some of them remained in the intentions pile. Laziness has crept in to areas that I'd rather not think about and discipline in my life has taken a back seat. You see raising kids has as much to do with me being disciplined as it does them being disciplined!

So, I have been using the last couple of weeks to evaluate some things. I am seeking God's plan in this life He's given me. Running a godly household with Bruce, reaching for GOD's HAND and Resting in the plan HE has for MY family is a daily goal. I don't need to keep up with the Jones', I don't need to be so busy that my family falls by the wayside. I need to model a Godly family, be wise with what God has entrusted me with, shine a light from the corner of my street so that what I say matches what I live and unbelievers can see the difference HE can make in their homes too.

So this new year...there's gonna be more cooking and less fast food, more reading and less TV, more discipline for me...and probably the kids (they will LOVE that)  and more focus on breaking the stronghold of materialism, worldliness and busyness.....all with the help of the Savior.

So, I'd like to know something from you....what's something you are going to do differently with your family for the coming year? Leave me a comment...I'd love to know!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Well Gina, Blog responses don't show tears in my eyes and the lump in my throat, but trust me, it's there. I, and my husband as well, are painfully aware that our household, our lives, and priorities are not where we want them to be either. I have just spent the last two hours scrubbing a bathroom, ours, and doing some long hard thinking. I am praying and have been about these very things you're addressing, and I have no idea how the Lord is going to resolve what is on my heart.

As you know we also homeschool 2 and I wouldn't trade that for anything. However, I am also part-time on staff as our church's Worship Leader (though I do not keep hours at the church,) and am on the leadership team for our Homeschool Group. Honestly, it is very difficult for me to hear sometimes what I need to lay down, if anything at all. I struggle between living a quiet life and knowing what my part is in running a Godly race, fighting the good fight, in the world in which we live. It is such a spiritual battle just raising children and being a leader in this world and unGodly culture that we wade through day after day. My struggle is with balance. How can we be world changers and lead this quiet life? The battle seems like an activity magnet, so to speak, that pulls me into "do" mode. I don't know if that makes sense or not. We're not TV watchers, so we have that going for us, haha!

So, progress report for us right now is prayer, seeking Godly counsel, and making the tough sacrifices regardless of what others think and say.

KATHY