Tuesday, June 10, 2014

When I Don't Want to Do Right



There is going to be some truth here on the blog today...so hang on.

There is sometimes a struggle within me between the correct way to behave, react, be.....and the way God wants me to behave, react, be. Sometimes might be understanding it....it goes on. A LOT. And I feel a little like Paul from the Bible who says,

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." Romans 7:15.

Ever feel that way?

I've been a Christian for 36 years. I know what the Bible says about the way I should live. I even know the general rules of society that are just good manners. But sometimes I lose sight of those reminders, manners, principles...even commands...like Tucker loses sight of his morning chores.

Sheesh. Walking the Christian walk is hard stuff. It's a challenge daily to lay aside the things that I think need to be said and done and replace them with God's plan of humility and grace. I'm no expert but I am learning that His way is always best. Always. It might be hard to set aside what my flesh so naturally wants to be doing but it only takes one misspoken word or action to remind me that His way helps me avoid foot in mouth disease!

Of course, I'm thankful for God's grace that covers my share of multitudes of sin BUT....I don't want to embrace a false liberty that allows me to live like a heathen while claiming..."God will forgive me." I want to be victorious in this walk with the Lord. I want to claim His word as my sword and shield as I fight my own flesh, let alone the things the enemy throws my way. The battle is hard...duh...it wouldn't be called a battle if it wasn't. It's harder without protection and armor, actually impossible to have any real victory. So I am challenged to pick up the armor daily and put it on. It doesn't do any good just knowing about it. I've got to use it. His armor is the only protection against the enemy.

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Ephesians 6:13
So if you're like me...struggling to be who you are and who God created you to be...struggling with doing what's right verses just knowing what is right....Take heart. Yes, there's forgiveness but there's also a defense against yourself...God's armor...Pick it up, dust it off, put it on.

No comments: