Monday, July 15, 2013

The Saga Continues Georgia - Part 3

This is the one where I expose the mischievous shenanigans of my step dad. Tom...or as we lovingly call him Pop.

Pop is famous for interpreting directions exactly like he wants. He treats commands or orders as suggestions, not as guidelines to ensure good results. Most of the time I believe he has earned this right...after all he is well....over the hill.

With his recent hip replacement we had hoped that he would be more inclined to at least make a shallow effort to obey the doctors orders. Ever heard of a shot in the dark, or dashed hopes, shattered dreams...yes...those would be the words we could use to describe our disappointment when we realized Pop hobbled to the beat of a different drum.

On Monday we thought the physical therapist was coming. The allotted time came and went and finally we gave up. Pop wanted to walk around outside...which was a great idea...but remember the embankment where Pam and I planted 1000 shrubs? That's where he wanted to walk to show me some fresh mulch he had just sent through the wood chipper. Well, there was no telling him no, so I walked right beside him so he wouldn't fall. We got up to the top of the hill when we heard a car coming down the dirt driveway. The therapists!!!! Oh No!!!! How was Pop or I going to explain how and why Pop was on top of the hill......we both knew we were in trouble and Pop came down that mountain in record speed....just in time to meet the car in the driveway....only.....it was the exterminator. Exterminators don't really care if you're on the top of the hill. Exterminators are not the same as physical therapists.

I thought maybe he had learned his lesson. But after the exterminator left, Pop needed to go get some meds at the pharmacy. So, Pam and I needed to go by the store to pick up a few groceries, so we loaded up and took him to the pharmacy while we were out. We finished quickly at the pharmacy...but when I put the Expedition in reverse, he told me to take a left, he needed to go to Lowe's to get some paint. Really? I don't think a jaunt through the store is what the Dr. ordered....but I dropped him at the curb and Pam walked him through the store to get the paint. I circled around and they were ready to go.

When we arrived home, I thought he would just let us take the paint down to the shed. But no, he wanted to hide the paint from Nancy Jo like it was an illegal drug. He suggested behind the tires....Pam and I were cracking up....how about we just leave it in the car for later? I felt like we were aiding a criminal. And later on he even confessed that he had the same paint in his shop....hmmmm guess he just needed a Lowe's fix!

While Pop was extremely entertaining with his antics, Pam and I provided endless possibilities to entertain him....especially when we were hauling the 6000 pound potting shed up the side of Mt. St. Helens. He was cracking up at the way we finagled that thing. (see Part 1 for more details on the potting shed).

Pop enjoyed the meals prepared for him during the week. Bringing your own caterer with you has its advantages. We created some fantastic Pop favorite meals. I'm not sure I can ever go back without Pam.   Pan crusted chicken, pasta, sautéed green beans, fresh corn, rutabaga patties, bacon and brussell sprouts, sautéed onions, baked beans, asparagus and more. Delicious!

We enjoyed supervising Pop for a few days....although I'm pretty sure he did exactly what he wanted anyway...but we enjoyed hearing his stories, jokes and redneck humor. He also gave us birdhouse lessons and showed us all his new creations. What a gift he is to our family!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, to all have read this 3-part saga...this is the infamous "Nancy Jo,"....Jo-Jo herself....responding!

It's true, it is all true:o) These two precious women came and worked themselves half to death! The much needed outdoor work was made even harder by the unbearable humidity and the weeks of rain that continued throughout their stay.....but, I don't believe it ever once even crossed their minds to not finish what they came to do----to help wherever needed.

When Pam and Gina arrived I was bone tired and mentally exhausted. You see, Pops surgery may have only been a week earlier, but his pain had grown intense over the past several months, though most people NEVER knew how bad it was. But from the heart of a loving wife, it has been very difficult to watch the physical deterioration and healthy lifestyle Pop was being robbed of. Soooooo, what a sweet relief I felt when help arrived! Yes, they did all that was written in the "Saga," but, they did SO much more! They brought laughter into our hearts ----- how can you be around either one of them and not laugh? Their presence offered peace of mind to me as I went back to work and company for Pop while I was away, the scrumptious, nutritious meals offered me a break when I came home from work.

As Christians we are admonished to serve one another, pray for one another, care for one another, bear one another's burdens. That is what these two gifted women did for Pop and I .... We are truly blessed by their love and generosity and cherish the memories that were made by their being here at the little log cabin in the woods! They left their mark on all the painted porch furniture, in the flower beds, in the kitchen---BUT, mostly in our hearts----we love you and appreciate you both beyond what words can say!