Thursday, March 20, 2014

What To Do When Your Server Is Down

Computer problems are a hassle, inconvenient and frustrating. I remember about 7 years ago when I sent my first text (yes, I was behind the times) I wondered how anyone could be so dependent on technology and now just a few years later I find myself tapping my computer when the high speed just isn't fast enough. And when the server is down...well pass the ice cream because between two kids and Bruce and I...somebody is going to be stress eating. We are such first world people. Thankfully we have a couple of genius friends who know just about everything there is to know about our gadgets that when we are down...they get us up and running pretty quick. Bless them.

But lately it's been hard not to notice that physically my "serve" has been hit or miss. Oh...don't get me wrong, I've been doing and going and accomplishing but my heart has been tired and worn and I've been depending more on me than on the One who never fails. So last week we went to GA to visit my family and I had some time to think about and pray about my attitude and my serve. And here's what I was reminded of:

--Jesus was the ultimate example of "serve". And yet, even He had to take time away to recharge with the Father. He went away to the garden, to the mountains and who knows where else during his earthly ministry, for the purpose of rest and renewal. Close, intentional communion with God will do that. But He didn't stay gone forever. After His 40 days, He came back ready and willing to do whatever God asked Him to.

--My attitude is important as I serve. His word says, "Serve the Lord with gladness", in Psalm 100:2, is a command ...not a suggestion. I normally enjoy serving my family, my church and my community. But when my attitude isn't plugged into the joy found in Christ, I'm miserable. I find myself complaining about mundane things...laundry and dirty socks and hair in the sink and emptying the dishwasher. What I was reminded of on my getaway is that there are no mundane tasks assigned by God. I'm a wife and mom..that's my job description...and my service to my husband and children should be with joy filled gladness even when there's spilt milk and crumbs on the table.

--I serve the Worthy One. On earth it's easy to think about who deserves our service- family, church, friends, country, the poor. But the truth is, our service should be to the Lord. Whatever we are doing..to whoever we are doing it to...for whatever reason we are doing it. And when my eyes are fixed on Him and I am filled with His Spirit to walk and do the things that He has scheduled for me to accomplish, I'm unstoppable.

A couple of practical things to do when your server is down:

1. Get in God's word and be encouraged.

2. Stay faithful in fellowship with your church.

3. Confess known sin.

4. Ask God to reveal unknown sin and ask forgiveness as He does.

5. Fellowship with Godly people who will encourage you.

6. Recharge. And then get busy again...(Repeat as needed)

7. Ask God to show you His plan for your service. We can't do it all. He has a place designed where you'll be most effective.

8. Remind yourself of what you've been saved from.

9. Defeat Satan by quoting scripture

10. Ask God to stir you up to do good works. Why? So others will be drawn to His spirit in you.


I've returned....revived and recharged to serve my family, friends, church and community by doing the things that God wants me to be busy doing. I have the ability to say no to the things that God does not call me to. And I have the desire to say YES to the many things that I can do. He's gracious to give me so many opportunities to share His love and care for humanity. I'm thankful to be His hands.




No comments: