Friday, March 8, 2019

Why We'd Go Back

This morning I ate at The Breakfast Klub with Bruce and a long time friend. I had googled to find a restaurant that would be an easy commute for my friend and this one popped up. We had no idea what we were getting in to but now, with the meal behind us, I am already looking forward to my next visit...and I want to tell others about it!

And that got me to thinking....what brings people back? As a pastor's wife, we are constantly looking for ways to get seekers in the door and then back again. So I thought I'd take a closer look at what I experienced and why I think people keep coming back (or not).

1. I decided on the place because when I googled it, it came up with 4.5 stars....so I knew quickly that it must be good.

2. They had an online presence. I browsed the menu to be sure it was going to have something for all of us. The menu was easy to find and easy to read.

3. The location was in a part of Houston that appears to be revitalizing. Parking was terrible.

4. We had to stand in line outside because the crowd inside was so large.

5. There was a nice African American woman who gave clear and direct instructions about the menu and what would happen when you entered the building. She even told us where the restrooms would be located, where the drinks and condiments would be and how to order from the menu. She was nice, well spoken and energetic.

6. We waited outside about 20 minutes.

7. Once in the building we were greeted by another man who took our order before we got to the counter. He also pointed out the drinks and restrooms and was very friendly.

8. We paid with a debit card and signed electronically.

9. Did I mention it was crowded? After we got our drinks and silverware we found our own seat.

10. Within 10 minutes our food was served by 2 different waiters who were very friendly.

11. About half way through the meal the general manager made his way around to us and chatted for 3 minutes or so. He returned 5 minutes later and told us we HAD to have some fried chicken since it was our first time. He gave us each a piece...on the house. It was scrumptious.

12. The bathroom was spotlessly clean, but the toilet didn't flush without a good jiggle of the handle.

13. Tables were busted quickly by plenty of servers and waiters.

14. The atmosphere was multi ethnic...mostly African Americans of the business sector. I didn't feel intimidated or uncomfortable at all. Everyone was so FRIENDLY.

15. We paid more than we usually do for breakfast. It was so worth it.

16. The music was loud and some of the art work was a little more "soul-full" than I am used to.

So the question is....would I go back? You betcha...and here's why...

1. I am an information kind of gal...I liked knowing a little about the place before going.
2. The friendliness of everyone we encountered was overwhelming and made the few things that could have been a big distraction seem so small in comparison.
3. Knowing the food was going to be delicious made the wait more tolerable.
4. Did I mention how friendly everyone was?


I also think church is a lot like restaurants.

People listen to other members reviews....how do we talk about our church?

People look for friendliness...are our greeters familiar with where everything is so they can direct guests to the right classes, restrooms, nursery? Are they smiling and excited to be there? A grumpy greeter can be a big turn off when looking for a church.

People are willing to compromise some things if the main thing is good. What is the main thing?? Jesus and His message. However that is communicated needs to be top notch. The best we can give.

Are our people eager to serve. Those waiters and servers at the Breakfast Klub were anxious and ready to do their jobs. They were serving current guests and making room for the next guests. They had a lot riding on their shoulders. Do our servers in our churches serve with that same passion and understanding that they are the visual message of the church?

Did I mention how friendly everyone was? The general manager was making the rounds, making small talk, shaking hands and making everyone feel loved and appreciated. How important is that when we are welcoming guests into our churches.

The important lesson I learned today was it's not always the best building, best parking situation, best seat in the house that gets people coming back. It's the atmosphere. WHOA.... and what I learned today is we have a part in that atmosphere. How we enter God's house not only reflects our relationship with Him but also can affect others around us as they seek to worship God. A smile goes a long way and I can easily forget about a toilet that had to be jiggled a little if the Holy Spirit is moving in the atmosphere.


No comments: