Saturday, May 26, 2018

Praying Friends

Job 16:20-21-My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of a man he pleads with God as one pleads for a friend.
It is no secret the life of Old Testament Job was turned upside down in the time span of a day. I can't imagine losing everything you've ever loved, worked for, earned, prayed for, been blessed with, in a minute. But that's exactly what happened. Job, a man who lived according to the principles of God, was allowed to be tested. 
Ever find yourself wondering what you did wrong? Why God is allowing something to happen? How could He? You examine yourself and like Job find no gross, habitual sin that you are guilty of and you wonder...is this punishment for something I'm not thinking of? Is it testing to make me stronger? 
You cry, pitch a fit, get angry, take a long walk to clear your head....oh wait..maybe that's just me. But you do whatever you can to deal with the emotions of loss and hurt and disappointment and fear. We try to cope. 
But Job, he knew the answer. He knew that his friends would eventually run out of the right words. He knew that people would forget. He knew that His losses would only be fully understood by his intercessor...His Lord. And He knew the Lord could be trusted with His tears. He knew that his intercessor would storm the gates of heaven just like the most loyal friend cheers and champions during times of distress.
I have a mother who has prayed over me since I was a baby. I have a husband who is a prayer warrior and I have friends that have lifted my arms in the wilderness and carried me to victory. I am truly blessed by those in my life who intercede on my behalf. 
But more important that all that is that Jesus Christ himself is my intercessor and His direct access to the Father God holds such promise and hope for me when I struggle to understand God's ways, His testings or my own consequences for sin. I am so thankful that just as my friends and family pray me through different situations, that Jesus Christ is hearing my pleas and lovingly and urgently taking those to the Lord God. 
Jesus...what a friend to this sinner.

No comments: