Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 4 of 24 Days of Thanks

Who doesn't like something new? While I love antiques and primitive decor, I don't particularly like the dirt and grime that often accompanies them. In fact I have a few things in my shed that I won't even bring in the house until I have the opportunity to clean them up and give them a fresh coat of paint. I love the look....but not the dust and decay that so often sticks. 

One of the things that I'm thankful for is how that God says, "Behold, I make all things new"(2 Corinthians 5:17 and Revelation 21:5)....because, let's be honest, who doesn't love new things? In my life there has been a lot of old....Old habits, old memories, old hurts, old sin, old skeletons in my closet, old disappointments, old burdens. Yet, God reminds me often that He is making all things new. He's capable of replacing all these old things with things that are new and beautiful and lovely. His plan is for us to walk in newness of life. It's a gift I don't know how to fully grasp. It's a struggle between my flesh and my spirit to embrace the new....Not because I don't want the things that the new offers, but because my flesh is comfortable in the old....in the grief and the heartache and the sorrow and the hurt. A short walk in the light of His newness reminds me that He offers new mercy, new peace, new grace, new life for each day. 

How thankful I am that His newness is fresh every morning (Lamentations 3:23). It's not only new, but sufficient. Enough. Adequate. Provisional. He doesn't leave us lacking. He is making all things new.

What are you thankful for today?

No comments: