Thursday, January 29, 2009

Making Plans

I'm in the process of beginning to make plans to be out of town at the Quad City Writers Conference in Iowa at the end of March. This will be the first time in three years that I have been out of town alone. Dare I say it....I can hardly wait!!!! Not only is this going to be a fantastic opportunity to gain some very needed writing tips, it's also going to be some time away for the regular events in my life...AKA diapers, dishes, laundry, housework. But the thing is, I know myself...within hours of leaving Texas, I'll be feeling that tinge of missing the most cherished things in my life.....Bruce and the kids.

It's funny...the things we think we want the most aren't really the things that satisfy us. It's a Biblical concept too. Paul struggled with it when he said.... "the things I do I don't want to and the things I don't do...I wish I did." We struggle with the balance of our want to, should do, could do and will do.

I'm going to Iowa...eyes wide open...with my new observations tucked in my suitcase. I will enjoy my time away...getting training to be a better writer..employee, getting a full nights sleep, eating meals without wearing them, and perhaps even taking a nap of my own one day. And many of my moments will be spent thinking of my family...loving them from miles away.

No comments: